- describe what happened
- explain the cause of the accident
- state what you think should be done about the situation
I am writing to inform you about a minor accident I experienced at work last week while you were abroad on a business trip.
On Tuesday morning I went to the office kitchen to make some tea. I switched the plug on and the water began to boil. Suddenly I heard a bang and I noticed that the socket and plug had burnt. I also burnt my hand slightly in an effort to control the situation. The other staff members rushed to my aid and by placing my hand under cold running water I was able to avoid blistering.
I believe that the accident occurred because the office staff usually overburden the sockets in the kitchen. A double socket is used for the refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, toaster and kettle.
In order to avoid this happening in the future I suggest we contact an electrician to visit our premises and repair the wiring in the kitchen, providing every appliance with its own outlet.
Question taken from Focusing on IELTS Reading and writing skills p.134