Friday 5 October 2012

Phrasal Verbs with 'take'

Take after = to have a similar character/appearance as an older family member e.g. She takes after her mother. They are both perfectionists.

Take someone along = to take someone with you when you go somewhere e.g. She’s bringing her brother along with her to the graduation party.

Take something apart = to separate into different parts e.g. They need to take the computer apart to see what the problem is.

Take someone around = to show someone the interesting/important parts of a place e.g. The students take the parents around campus on open days.

Take someone aside = to speak to someone privately e.g. He took me aside and told me not to mention anything to the rest of the group.

Take something away = to remove something from its original place e.g. Can you please take away that vase and put it in the kitchen?

Take something away = to remove something from a person e.g. They are taking away his gym membership.

Take something away = to leave with an impression, message, etc. e.g. The message I took away from the play was that love conquers all.

Take it away! = start performing e.g. Take it away! Let’s hear your music.

Take someone away = to take someone with you e.g. I’m taking Adele away with me to Goa.

Take something back = to return something e.g. The toy was broken so I took it back to the shop.

Take something back = to admit you said something wrong e.g. I take back what I said earlier. I think the dress looks great.

Take someone back = something makes you remember the past e.g. Gosh, that song takes me back to high school.

Take someone back = to employ someone again or re-start a relationship after a disagreement e.g. He apologised a hundred times before I agreed to take him back.

Take something down = to remove something from a wall e.g. We need to take those offensive posters down before the students arrive.

Take something down = to write what someone says e.g. I hope you are taking down notes of this important lecture.

Take someone in = to let someone stay in your home e.g. They had nowhere to go so we took them in.

Take someone in = to take someone to the police station for questioning e.g. The policeman took him in for questioning about the accident.

Take someone in = to deceive someone e.g. They told her that was the only supplier and she got taken in.

Take something in = to observe all the details e.g. I just want to stand here a few minutes and take in the architecture of the building.

Take something in = to take a car/faulty equipment for repair e.g. We’ve taken our TV in for repair.

Take something in = to narrow clothes by sewing them e.g. He’s taken the trousers in a bit and they fit much better.

Take something off = to remove clothing items e.g. It was hot so I took my jacket off.

Take something off = to spend time away from work e.g. I’m taking next week off to go to Moscow with my girlfriend.

Take off = to fly e.g. The plane took off on time.

Take off = to suddenly become successful/popular e.g. Those sunglasses have really taken off in China.

Take someone off something = to stop taking medical treatment/food e.g. He’s been taken off the diet of soup.

Take someone on = to start employing someone e.g. The company is taking on twenty new staff members.

Take someone on = to compete against someone e.g. Who is Federer taking on this afternoon?

Take something on = to accept a job/responsibility e.g. I’ve been under stress ever since I took on the position of manager.

Take something out = to remove something from a place/container e.g. Take your passport out of your bag so we don’t delay at the check-in counter.

Take something out = to borrow books from a library e.g. I take out two book a week.

Take someone out = to do something with someone and pay for it e.g. Come on! Let me take you out for a meal, my treat.

Take something out of someone = to make someone exhausted e.g. Babysitting those active children really took the energy out of me.

Take something out on someone = to treat someone badly as you are upset/angry although they have done nothing wrong e.g. Just because you had a bad day at work you don’t need to take it out on me.

Take something over = to take responsibility or begin a job that someone else was doing e.g. I’ll take over writing the report from now.

Take over something = to get control of a company e.g. They bought most of the shares in the company so they are taking over.

Take someone through something = to explain something or show someone how to do something e.g. Let me take you through the steps of making a cake.

Take to someone/something = to start liking someone/something e.g. I didn’t like Jeff at first but now I’ve taken to him.

Take something up = to start doing it e.g. I’ve taken up Mandarin classes.

Take something up = to consume time/space/effort e.g. Learning Mandarin is taking up a lot of time.

Take something up/Take someone up on something = to accept an offer/opportunity e.g. I’ve been offered a job in a law firm and I’m taking it up.

Take something upon yourself = to do something without consulting anyone e.g. Why did you take it upon yourself to drive him all the way to the airport?

No comments:

Post a Comment