Tuesday 22 May 2012

General Training - Model Answer (Task 1)

An English-speaking friend is coming to study in your town/city next year and has written asking for information and advice.


Write a letter to your friend. In your letter:
  • offer to find a place for him/her to live
  • give advice about how to find a part-time job
  • give information on where they can learn your language

 Dear Hope,

I’m so excited that you have finally decided to come to China to learn Mandarin and work at the same time. I can’t wait to see you and introduce you to my city.

Unfortunately I live with my parents and grandparents in a two-bedroom flat so I can’t offer you a place to stay. However, my aunt is an estate agent and I’ll be happy to speak to her on your behalf about accommodation. Let me know what you are looking for and I’ll pass the message onto her.

You mentioned that you were interested in getting a part-time job. In my city networking is important and jobs can be obtained if you have the right connections. Once you are here and have established yourself, you should be able to land a good job.

As for learning Mandarin there are many courses at local colleges but I recommend the one being offered by the university. It is good value for money and many foreigners opt for this route. Of course the best way is to work and practice speaking with the local people.

Best Wishes,

Wu Hongmei
Question taken from Cambridge Instant IELTS p. 106

No comments:

Post a Comment