Sunday 1 February 2015

General Training Writing - Task 1

You have been doing some voluntary work to help your local community. However, now you are unable to continue doing this work.
Write a letter to the manager of the organisation where you have been working. In your letter

  • describe the work you have been doing
  • explain why you can no longer do this work
  • recommend another person who is interested in the work.


Dear Mrs. Owens,

I have been working at Holly Oaks Home for the elderly on a voluntary basis for the last five years and I am writing to inform you that unfortunately I will be unable to continue providing my services.

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I was responsible for organising social activities for the elderly. These included ballroom dancing, bingo tournaments and classes on how to use the internet. I was also responsible for arranging day trips to nearby cities, museums and galleries.

Due to the fact that my husband has been offered a job in Malaysia I will no longer be able to carry out these duties. We are moving at the end of this month. 

I would like to recommend a new volunteer to fill my position. Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor is a retired nurse and is available for this post. I have already briefed her about my duties and she will be contacting you shortly to discuss this matter.

It was a pleasure volunteering at Holly Oaks and I feel grateful for the opportunity I was given to offer my services to the elderly.

Yours Sincerely,

Jane Tembo

Question taken from The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS for Academic and General Training p.332

No comments:

Post a Comment